Sunday, May 14, 2006

A sisters perspective

Hello, my name is Jeanette and I am Sandra's older sister.My sister has been my left arm for the past 4 years. My daughter was in a car accident and has sustained a severe head injury. She is totally dependant for all her care. My sister was my daughter’s caregiver and support person up until she was diagnosed with kidney failure. My sister helped me through some very tough times and I hope that I can be as much of a support for her as she has been for my daughter and me. Sandra and I just got back from the hospital where she had her first peritoneal dialysis. When I picked her up before the treatment I was very scared. Sandra did not look good. Since her operation she has been in a lot of pain. When we arrived at the hospital Sandra was trying to tell them that something was wrong and they just were not listening. When the doctor came and was not listening to her either that was the first sign of what a toll this has been for my sister. She began to cry. My heart just sank for her. After some intense discussion with the doctor he began to listen to her and take her seriously. As she was having her dialysis we actually had a few laughs. Through my daughter's life changing journey we as a family have learned that laughter is the best medicine. There was this gentleman in the next bed that had told the nurse that he was very tired because he just had 6 hours of dialysis. The nurse responded by saying," ya, 6 hours of dialysis would kill anybody". My sister and I looked at each other with wide-open eyes in shock at what she had just said and then we burst out laughing. People say the most darndest things.When we left the hospital after her second day of dialysis I noticed she had pink in her cheeks again and she seemed more relaxed and was eating more. My mother and Sandra are leaving today for 5 days at the hospital and then Sandra will be doing her own dialysis at home. When Sandra and I were driving home the other day she said that this weekend is the last weekend she will not be hooked up to a dialysis machine. My heart is breaking for her and her daughter. Kylie has been through so much in the past few years and now it is her mother. To all who are going through this same journey, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Jeanette (I am posting to Christina's diary, with her permission, while she's away. Ace)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Guestbook