Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Disease Is Taking Its Toll

I have been so busy trying to advocate for Sandra, that I have not allowed the full impact of her disease to grab hold of me. Whenever I start getting depressed I try to do something to make it easier for Sandra. However, sometimes it is very hard. Especially when I see how desperately she tries to not have her disease have an impact on her daughter's life. Sandra used to be the mother who always volunteered to drive/pick up Kylie and her friends to, and from different functions, and there have always been a lot of friends in their home. Now, Sandra often have to say no, as the illness is taking its toll. Last night I cried myself to sleep. Sandra has to fill out some forms explaining the things she has had to give up due to her illness, and she asked me to help her with it. It broke my heart to actually sit down and remember all the things she used to be able to do without it exhausting her. The main change is of course, that she can no longer work. However there are so many other things, including ordinary household chores, socializing with friends....she used to love dancing for example. Everyone could always count on her to fix any computer problem they might have, but now she can only sit by the computer for short periods at a time. When it comes right down to it, her whole life has changed. It is all so unfair. But then, for whom would it be fair? I know of a little four year old girl who is going through this, and my heart goes out to her and her family. I wish I could be more positive, however, this is reality.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there, i just want to say i hope that a miracle comes your way very soon, as most of us know what is like to have a sick love one in our lives. it must also be hard epecially when it is your child that is ill,i will be thinking of you all everyday until this miracle happens.
brenda

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christina,

I wanted to let you know that I will be thinking about you and Sandra often. My heart breaks for the two of you and what you are having to deal with.

I found out in May of 2005 that I ESRD and it has totally consumed my life since.

Have you thought about trying to hold some type of benefit for Sandra to see if you could locate a living donor. I don't know if this would work as it is only a thought I had after reading your blog.

You will be in my thoughts! If there is anything that I can do to help please let me know.

Take care,
TKZ

11:16 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thank you for your kind thoughts.
Brenda you are right. It is very hard when it is your child. I am just glad that I am able to at least advocate for Sandra.

TKZ, I see you also are new on this journey. Your offer goes the other way too, if there is anything I can do to help you let me know. My heart goes out to each and every one who is going through this illness.
Hugs, Christina

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Guestbook